Form_with is Turbo the missing link for me?

Hi
Im trying to get a Rails application to do with hotwired html from the server. Im considering if im missing the use of Turbo or if have just created a defect for my self by mixing one to many examples :slight_smile:
My break down of the work to be done:
1 Call new_my_thing_path get a new @myThing (works)
2 Call using stimulus and get html back (works)
3 In stimulus append HML to my target (works)
4 Fill in form and post back as remote (fails)
5 Catch XHR in stimulus on ajax success and fill in HTML response (controller dp_appender_list is created land oaded but not called as step 4 fails)

1 (from index.html.erb):

<div data-controller="dp-bs-modal"
                          data-dp-bs-modal-url-value="<%= new_default_job_discipline_path %>"
                          data-dp-bs-modal-modal-id-value="modal"
                          data-dp-bs-modal-modal-placeholder-id-value="modalPlaceholderId"
                          data-action="click->dp-bs-modal#newModal">
                          <%= link_to (fa_icon "plus"),'javascript:void(0)' %>
                        </div>
                        <div id="modalPlaceholderId"></div>
                      </div>

Here modalPlaceholderId is outside the controller scope. Its a quick-fix, if it is inside scope, data-action=“click->dp-bs-modal#newModal” grabs every interactions with the modal.

2-3: from( dp_bs_modal_controller)
import { Controller } from “stimulus”
const bs = require(‘bootstrap’);

export default class extends Controller {
static targets = [“modal”];
static values = { url: String,
modalId: String,
modalPlaceholderId: String
};

newModal() {
    if (this.hasModalTarget) {
        this.modalTarget.remove();
    }
        fetch(this.urlValue)
            .then((r) => r.text())
            .then((html) => {
                const fragment = document
                    .createRange()
                    .createContextualFragment(html);

//this.element.appendChild(fragment);
                console.log(fragment);
                console.log(this.modalPlaceholderIdValue)
                document.getElementById(this.modalPlaceholderIdValue).appendChild(fragment);
                let dpBsModal = new bs.Modal(document.getElementById(this.modalIdValue), {keyboard: false})
                dpBsModal.show();
            });}}

The remove part " this.modalTarget.remove()" should may-haps live somewhere else, for now this is what i could do.

3: (new.html.erb)

Add Default Job Discipline

<%= render 'form', default_job_discipline: @default_jpb_discipline %>

</div>
    </div>

and (_form.html.erb)

<%= form_with(model: [@default_job_discipline],  data: { action: "ajax:success->appender-list#apppend" } )do |form| %>
  <div class="<%= form_field_style() %>">
    <%= form.text_field :code, class: "form-control", id: "labelFormName", placeholder: "Something", type: "text" %>
    <%= form.label :name, "Code", class: "form-label", for: "labelFormName" %>
  </div>
  <div class="<%= form_field_style() %>">
    <%= form.text_field :discipline, class: "form-control", id: "labelFormName", placeholder: "Something", type: "text" %>
    <%= form.label :name, "Discipline", class: "form-label", for: "labelFormName" %>
  </div>
  </div>
  <div class="<%= modal_footer_style %>">
    <%= form.submit "Save", class: form_button_save_style() %>

<% end %>
<button type="button" class="<%=modal_footer_cancel_style()%>" data-bs-dismiss="modal" aria-label="Close">Close</button>

generated HTML on modal pop-up:

<div data-controller="dp-appender-list">
<form data-action="ajax:success->appender-list#apppend" action="/default_job_disciplines" accept-charset="UTF-8" data-remote="true" method="post"><input type="hidden" name="authenticity_token" value="RgOatoaIpJklRsMOuNUR372JM0JfVHDj0zaXwBqwyppcgjdENKfbmpPYY2GYz1eJuQG39H0ER1c8KNquqBBoDg==">
  <div class="form-floating mb-3">
    <input class="form-control" id="labelFormName" placeholder="Something" type="text" name="default_job_discipline[code]">
    <label class="form-label" for="labelFormName">Code</label>
  </div>
  <div class="form-floating mb-3">
    <input class="form-control" id="labelFormName" placeholder="Something" type="text" name="default_job_discipline[discipline]">
    <label class="form-label" for="labelFormName">Discipline</label>
  </div>
  </form></div>
  <div class="modal-footer">
    <input type="submit" name="commit" value="Save" class="btn btn-success" data-disable-with="Save">

<button type="button" class="btn btn-secondary" data-bs-dismiss="modal" aria-label="Close">Close</button>
    </div>
    </div>
</di

My problem is here that the save button does fire a call to the backend. I cant find any trace of it neither in browser of rails logs. The button just toggles and then nothing else.
My thoughts are:
-I dont fully understand the limitations of ujs and should use Turbo instead?
-I dont fully understand the implications of my doings and have created a bug somewhere?
-I going about this with an incorrect mental model (step 1-5) and need help to understand where my mental model of this falls short.

Any help and guidance are much appreciated.
Best
Jens

Hi
Found the dumb double div in the form. Now it works :slight_smile:
Im still wondering when the shift to Turbo is the right, can any give pointers to this?

Best
Jens