Loading individual Stimulus controllers

I was originally using this code to link in my stimulus controllers:

window.Stimulus = Application.start()
const context = require.context("../src/controllers", true, /\.js$/)
Stimulus.load(definitionsFromContext(context))

However, one of the controllers loads the google maps api. I do not want to do that on every page. So now I am trying to load only the controllers needed for a page. So I am doing this in my DOMContentLoaded event:

// Load any stimulus controllers for this page
  const controllerElements = document.querySelectorAll('[data-controller]');
  // Extract unique controller names
  const uniqueControllers = new Set();
  controllerElements.forEach((element) => {
    const controllers = element.dataset.controller.split(' ');
    controllers.forEach((controller) => uniqueControllers.add(controller.replaceAll('-','_')));
  });

uniqueControllers.forEach((controllerName) => {
    console.log("loading controller: ", controllerName);
    import(`../src/controllers/${controllerName}_controller.js`).then((module) => {
      const controllerDefinition = module.default;
      window.Stimulus.register(controllerName, controllerDefinition);
    });
  });

It seems like the controllers are being loaded properly. But none of my connect methods are being reached and none of my actions are being fired.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to load individual controllers? What would happen if I loaded a turbo-frame on the page and the content of the turbo frame had more controllers to connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Is this a Rails app?

I am so sorry. The reply emails were going into my junk folder. That is solved now. I ended up not loading the individual controllers. I modified the controllers so they loaded certain js files in the connect function instead of just importing them at the top of the file. Admittedly, some of the js files that we needed to do this for are poorly written. Assuming something is loaded without checking it first is always a bad idea.