Problem of rendering PDF version of page with Hot Wire / turbo frames

When I use wicked_pdf that renders the page with turbo frames

render pdf: "dashboard/index",
               formats: [:html],
               disposition: :inline,
               layout: 'pdf',
               javascript_delay: 5000

it doesn’t render frames, but only the Loading... title that I set as default text:

= turbo_frame_tag "page_status", src: page_status_dashboard_index_path do
          = render 'dashboard/cards/loading'

So, how to tune Turbo for reacting on JS marker javascript_delay?

Are you generating PDF files real-time when users to download from the browser, or do you want to generate PDF files to store on the server?

What server are you running?

Do you have a deadlock or other AJAX issues as described here?

In the rails logs the only one request for loading PDF version

Started GET "/dashboard.pdf" for 127.0.0.1 at 2022-06-09 13:58:22 +0300

and no any consequent Turbo request for fetching extra HTML parts, I’ve set full URL

= turbo_frame_tag "page_status", src: page_status_dashboard_index_url, loading: :eager do
          = render 'dashboard/cards/loading'

Also set the application layout for PDF version and checked that it contains application.js with turbo frame library:

respond_to do |format|
      format.pdf do
        render pdf: "dashboard/index",
               formats: [:html],
               disposition: :inline,
               layout: 'application', # 'pdf'
               # show_as_html: true,
               javascript_delay: 5000,
               extra: '--no-stop-slow-scripts'
      end
      format.html
    end

So, after the PDF request you do not see an additional requests in the rails logs (eg the turbo-frame request)? I’m guessing it might be blocking?

If just saving the current page as PDF, one item to consider might be using a JavaScript library to convert the current HTML to PDF. There are several good ones.

The main problem is that the main page fetches other Turbo Frames, and such a library as wiked_pdf can’t process it correctly. So, as I see for solving this issue of such types of HTML/PDF responsive pages, I need to apply conditional rendering like this:

- if pdf_request?
    = render partial: 'dashboard/cards/page_status_template', locals: {data: data}
- else
  = turbo_frame_tag "page_status", loading: :eager do
    = render partial: 'dashboard/cards/page_status_template', locals: {data: data}