Stimulus - how to cache dom elements?

Hi there

• was wondering if it is possible to “cache” dom elements.

I have a stimulus controller with some targets. Users play around and manipulate the dom. After all this is done, they might want to go back and revert to a clean state as it was in the beginning. some psuedo code can be used to illustrate this:

connect(){          
    this.cachedSlides = this.slideTargets.map((x) => {return x}) // how to save the values of these DOM elements here?

this.editTargets()  // we change the inner HTML 
                       // elements of all the slide Targets
  }

startAfresh(){
    this.slideTargets.forEach((slide) => {
        let cachedSlide = this.getCachedSlide(slide);
        slide.innerHTML = cachedSlide.innerHTML; // this does not work
                                                 // the old html elements are not cached here
    }, this);
}

was wanting to know how we could start afresh with the original dom elements? any pointers would be much appreciated.

chrs

Ben

You might be able to do this with a html template tag.

https://www.w3schools.com/TagS/tag_template.asp

1. Create a template with the original slide content.
  2. On connect, copy the template to the page using a target (this is what the user will see).
  3. The user interacts with the content
  4. On click of some button, replace the copied slides with the template once more by using the same target

(I’m on my phone so writing a comprehensive example is hard. Sorry!)

1 Like

Maybe I’m not understanding the full context here, but it sounds a lot like you just want to reload your template, which is coming from the page where you’re mounting your controller. Why not just throw this in a Turbo frame and trigger a reload with “_top”, which will restore your original template?

Turbo frame reference

Otherwise, you’d probably want to do your cachedSlides on initialize() rather than connect(), so that your assignment only happens once.

@pinzonjulian @strobilomyces thank you all i appreciate your responses; I will consider and review

• wrapping in a turbo frame might be a very viable option - that way all the state lives on the browser, instead of “caching” dom elements which might be updated in time.

• templating is an interesting option - a tool for another day, perhaps, given the turbo frame options above.